Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Age



I'm not sure how old I'll live to be if I'm lucky enough to live to old-age, but it seems that according to this map, I have a good chance of living to a very ripe old age. (By that time, I think I probably will SMELL ripe too!)
I know that it's probably right in a degree, as I know some of the old-folk around me and they are healthier than their horses. One of my friends' grandmothers died at 103 and another was nearly 100. My husband's grandparents were somewhere around 97 or 98 when they passed away.
I do believe there are 2 reasons they lived so long and no others...faith in God and being tough!
Some of these elderly citizens can outrun me through a mountain pass at any given moment. One lady makes it a habit of living in the Silver City ghost town all summer in the family home and when we go up to visit the town, she marches over the mountains and hills in the town like she was walking on flat ground. I, on the other hand, am doing better than I used to but I still have a terribly tough time keeping up with her. The first year we went up to visit she would race back and forth the 1/2 mile wide town's trails like they were nothing. I, on the other hand had to stop in to get a drink of water at the hotel before continuing.
Another friend's grandmother lived by herself until she was 93 or so and did all her own canning and gardening and housework. The elevation is high where she lived so she always put her tomatoes and corn on a wagon and pulled the wagon in the shed at night and out during the day so it wouldn't frost.
Maybe it's the fresh air and the high altitude that makes them so healthy?
Nah, I think it's because they all cowboyed up!
It's time I get some riding lessons!

7 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

Well, I'm not even on the map. :)

Those are beautiful horses, dd. Clydesdales?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

Gabrielle,
I believe they are American Belgian, but I could be wrong. Our neighbor had a team that he plowed pastures with up until the last few years. They are an awesome and powerful thing to watch work the fields. Especially with a little old man walking along behind them and they are taking orders like they understand English!
ccheryl, I hope you do get your genes from you father's side...you are needed in this big ol' world!

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Chris Dickson, F.L.A. said...

I agree with you. All too often, once people retire, they sit on the front porch all day long, every day, waiting to see who comes first; their Social Security check or the Grim Reaper.

We are never too old to do God's work...and that includes manual labor!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger myosotis said...

Longevity reigns in both my family and my husband's. My aunt who recently died at age 100, said this was her secret: "Good food, small quantities. Good, clean air. Work for as long as you can, read a lot and keep up on world events...and eat lots of hot pepper."

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

Brother Lesser,
Yes we are never too old to do God's work. I read recently of an elderly lady that lives in a nursing home. She can neither see nor hear but she prays Rosaries at nearly 100 a day. Her work is very important. I think I personally have the manual labor part figured out! ;0)

FMN
You're lucky to have that running in your family. I wish I could eat hot peppers, I am allergic to them unless they are in a small quantity in something like a salsa. I eat a lot of salsa and whole wheat crackers for snacks and sometimes in place of a meal.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Thats some kind of longevity!
I agree with Forget-Me-Not, we need to stay active in body, mind and soul. Remember the saying, 'if you don't use it you lose it.'

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger myosotis said...

ROFL...what a clown Honora!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter