Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Unworthy


Our Lady of Tears Church, Silver City, Idaho

I will speak to my Lord, I who am but dust and ashes. Genesis 18:27


If I think anything better of myself, behold you stand against me and my sins bear witness to the truth, and I cannot contradict it.
But if I humble myself and (as I really am) account myself to be mere dust, your grace will be favorable to me and your light will draw nigh to my heart; and all self-esteem, however so small, will be sunk in the depth of my own nothingness and there lose itself forever.
It is there you show me to myself, what I am, what I have been and what I am to come to; for I am nothing and knew it not. Psalm 72:22
If I am left to myself, behold I am nothing and all weakness; but if you should graciously look upon me, I presently become strong and am filled with a new joy.
And it is wonderful that I am so quickly raised up and so graciously embraced by you; I , who by my own weight am always sinking to the bottom.

It is your love that effects this, freely guiding me and assisting me in so many necessities, preserving me also from grievous dangers, and as I may truly say, delivering me from innumerable evils.
For by an evil loving of myself I lost myself, and by seeking you alone and purely loving you I found both myself and you, and by this love have more profoundly annihilated myself.
Because you, O most sweet Lord, are bountiful to me above all desert and above all I dare hope or ask for.
Blessed be you, O my God, for though I am unworthy of all good, yet your generosity and infinite goodness never ceases to do good, even to those who are ungrateful and that are turned away from you.
Oh, convert us to you, that we may be thankful, humble, and devout; for you are our salvation, our power and our strength. Psalm 111:8 Book iii chapter 8 of My Imitation of Christ

Lord, I humbly ask you to guide me through this day, to make of me what you will, and to remind me how small I truly am.

2 Comments:

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

Yes, I agree...but it only takes one time of sitting out in the yard in the middle of the night, looking out at the stars and knowing how much more is out there that we cannot even see or fathom in our thoughts to know that we are so small to His greatness because He is everywhere we can see and everywhere we cannot see as well. The smallness I speak of is not of embarassment, it is of the majesty of God.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

The little church sits on top of solid granite. It's beautiful and I'll post some more photos of it. The best part about it is when they have Mass there. Usually there are so many people that we stand outside at the windows and doors and we have the beautiful background to witness. It's amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter