Monday, August 14, 2006

Home is where the heart is...

I have to say that this is where my heart is.
Here is where God and I do our talking best.
The first thing that entered my mind when I got out of the vehicle was "SILENCE!" but then, I realized that it was not silent. It is SACRED NOISE. There were the sounds of chipmunks and little song birds, children passing by with their thoughts on fishing or hiking or coming back to camp to build a fire and eat, camp robbers passed by once in a while looking to nab a tidbit off the picnic tables and the butterflies floated along happily. There was the whisper of the wind in the tops of the pines which spoke the words, "Here I am, come and see."

I found myself once more...I found myself with these mountains and the call that comes from there. The first time I was there, I knew it was a place that was sacred to me...a place where God and I could talk. A place where I left the world behind and concentrated on nothing but the earth and the life that springs from it. Oh, don't get me wrong, I was busy while there...perhaps too busy at times for my liking, but God talked. He talked about what he gave me here in this place, what I would take home with me and how He hoped I would never forget that He was always more like this place than He is in places of confusion and destruction. It's the heart and soul where He lives, it's the heart and soul that He forms into what He needs for us to do what He asks. I pray that I will always remember that no matter where I am, my heart resides with Him on this mountain. Of course, I mean it both figuratively and literally.
I learned that I could live without television in my home. Oh, perhaps I could occasionally turn it on for a movie or something, but I could live very happily without it in my life...in fact, I could and think I will...it seems to take away my peace of mind.
I learned that I cannot live without teachers. I am not a good follower when it comes to doing things in this world, every ounce of me rebels when someone tells me that I HAVE to do this or that...but yet, I need a teacher. Well, I have found that teacher too. This teacher had much of the same thoughts that I do and the same regrets as well. This teacher would gladly walk away from the world to live with Christ. This teacher is St. Augustine.
I have read many of his prayers and bits of his writing on this vacation. He and I are much alike in our thoughts only he seems to be able to teach me how to voice those thoughts that I cannot explain.
Is it good to be home? Yes! As long as it is with Him... I am not at home here, in this valley...only on that mountain, listening to God do I seem to be home. I want to go back again, as soon as I can. I want to find myself once more until I am as clear as the mountain water.


The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul:He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake...

9 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger Ultreya said...

i have a place that is like that for me... its getting a little more crowded now, and in the summer more so... but when i first came here to spain for holidays i went to a small village up in the mountains, it over looks the coast and there is a long garden with flowers and pathways and i stood there the first time and felt 'home' at peace like the weight of the world was gone just for a while there, on that spot. back in england i used to just close my eyes and put myself there if i needed a little 'time out', never as good as being there of course. and now i am so lucky i can be there in half an hour, to my garden of peace, where the breeze blows up a smell of honey strangley, must be a plant i dont know of!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

Honora, I am a beginner at St. Augustine but I can see that he is so real...so unafraid to tell it like it is. He is someone who has asked a million and one questions and done a million and one things and like us, he looks at the cities of that time as being a place to be extra cautious when it comes to the good of our souls. I wonder what he would say about television? Hmmm....

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Chris Dickson, F.L.A. said...

Sublime tranquility!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

Marian,
Your garden sounds so wonderful! It is good to know that God gives us a "place" to be when we need to get away, isn't it? I have decided that each day I am going to sit with my Rosary in hand and pray and meditate imagining myself being at this mountain lake.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger myosotis said...

Oh Dd, how beautiful! You remind me so much of Peter and John up on Mt. Tabor with the Lord, after his transfiguration, not wanting to come down. Jesus told them not to tell anyone about it, and they kept their word until the time came. Moments like these are to be cherished just like you are doing. They will stay with you for so long and will be your sustenance. It's so good to have you back, sweet one! :-)

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger myosotis said...

Oops, forgot James! Sorry!

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How blest you are to have this sacred place for retreat.
Beautiful post.
Thank you.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

I think I have one more special blessing...well, in actuality it would be more than one but yet it is one...the friendships that are forming here. The Lord is good, isn't he? God bless you all!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger myosotis said...

Amen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter