Monday, September 25, 2006

Football


Ok, I admit it outright. I am not a football fan. I never have been, I never will be. I have spent the past 3 years of my life putting forth a good effort of looking interested because my sons have been playing, but I detest the sport.
I'm sorry, I know there are those of you out there that love the sport, but I don't find anything about it interesting and it seems to remind me of a bunch of gladiators out there banging into each other and grunting and moaning over the pain they inflict upon one another.
I'm a terrible sports mom. Every year I cringe when the weather turns cold and I think of all the weekends that I spend sitting on the sidelines, sometimes in the snow, other times in the rain and once in a while getting a sunburn to watch my sons play ball. Yes, I will do it for THEM...that's all...nothing else, and when they're through I hope I NEVER EVER have to sit through another football game in my life! (Don't tell the future grand-kids that though and YES, I'd do it for them too...I can't believe I just said that)

Last Friday was the height of football for my son. Kade is starting quarterback this year, and he has been playing quite well. In fact, this is the first time in oh, say...10 years that the scores have actually looked like we were a winning team instead of a bunch of nuts running around the field. The week before last it was the highest score I'd ever seen our small town make at a football game. 80 points on our WINNING team!
Then came the game last Friday. We were already ahead by 3 touchdowns and Kade didn't make it a full quarter through the game when the "big guy" on the other team purposefully smashed his helmet into his knee.....

Yes, we are now the proud parents of an invalid!

His knee isn't broken, thank goodness...
but as far as knowing what the tendons are doing in there, we have yet to find out.
He's not in much pain now, unless he tries to straighten it out... or bend it... or stand on it, but at first he was in intense pain.
I was a good mommy and didn't run madly out onto the field and make a fool out of myself, I waited to do that until they got him back to the bench.

I guess he came through it pretty well though, his best friend, our third son, was not quite so lucky. The same rotten scoundrel on the opposing team grabbed him from behind and spun him round and deposited him neatly upon his head, compacting and cracking 2 vertebrae neatly breaking his neck! He's out for the season and the whole year for that matter and probably won't be back next year. He was THIS CLOSE... *pinching fingers together*... to being paralyzed for the rest of his little hyperactive life! If there is one thing I can't imagine on this earth, it would be Kyle Paralyzed! It was definitely a blessing as he told me the other day..."If I were paralyzed I'd get online and hire a hitman to finish me off!" Great thinking Kyle....now, how were you going to get online in the first place, eh?

I'm hoping that today's Dr. appointment finds my son's knee in just enough trauma to keep him from playing football for the rest of the season...in fact I'm praying that it will. I was telling the nurse in the emergency room that if my son were to go to school with all the knots, bruises, and various abrasions on him and he were not playing football it would be called child abuse, but HECK IT'S FOOTBALL, it's OKAY, you know?
Personally, I don't get it... neither did the nurse....the doctor, being a man who must love football, simply stared blankly at me like he didn't understand what I'd just said. I stared back and didn't repeat myself.

Some of my women friends love it, they look forward to going to games, to watching them on TV...I guess I'm just out of touch with pain and have some sort of aversion to men chasing each other around a field trying to catch a funny shaped ball.

That's another thing I don't understand, why do they call THAT a ball?

Well, the wounds will thankfully mend and football season will soon be over...of course, it's never soon enough for me....

The good news?

Well, I sorta like basketball.

4 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

You are a sweet mama. Isn't it interesting the things we do and the sacrifices we make for those we love?

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Chris Dickson, F.L.A. said...

I am afraid I must confess my sinfulness and my sinful nature: I have loved the Cleveland Browns since I was a kid growing up in Timberlake, Ohio.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

LOL...I thought of you first Brother Lesser, I just thought you might be a fan! Let it be known...you have a different take on football than us mommies do!
Mountain Mama...I hope there's something good in me, sometimes I cringe with the thoughts of all these "boy" things they do! And YES, there are many sacrifices made willingly because of love!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I'm into baseball, Go ASTROS!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter