Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Last Goodbyes

If you're like me, there is always room in your home for one more pet. Even if the husband/wife seems to think otherwise. I found this poem and thought it so much represented my heart that i had to post it. Hope you like it.

The Last Goodbyes
As you hold them in your arms
And say your last good-byes
Look close into the fading light
that flickers in their eyes

They are not afraid
because they know when a sparrow falls
she falls into the hands of God
all creatures great and small

Remember when you found your pet
abandoned, frightened, so alone
shivering at your side you gave comfort
and shared the warmth of your home

As the years passed, they were with you
through every joy and sorrow
Always at your side until one day you knew
there would be no more tomorrows

You sigh and think
never again will I give my heart
it hurts too much to grieve
when you have to part

But there are so many animals
that have no place to go
who are longing for someone just like you
to love and call their own

They don't live as long as humans do
this too is a part of God's plan
for animals are God's angels
to be there for you when he can't

God's gift is that you can love many
when your pet has time for only one
you can give love and happiness to the strays...
who without you would have none.

So lay your friends to rest, lift up your hearts
dry your tears, for it is told
death is but a passage into the hands of God,
through the gates of gold

Somewhere others need you
in shelters, or wandering the streets
they want nothing more from life
than to lay down at your feet

It is time to give another life
the love only you can give
we are the caretakers of God creatures
for not to love... is not to live

written by Brenda Riley-Seymore

6 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True.

Lovely. :-)

Love,
Honora

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Oh yes. I relate to this poem.
I lost my dog, last year. He was with me for 13 years. I have two little Yorkies now.
They can't take the place of the one I lost, but they are little sweeties and I love them dearly just for being my little friends.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Ultreya said...

this one is our local magazine this week... tissues at the ready please...

If it be i grow frail and weak
And pain should wake me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad i understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so many happy years, what is to come will hold no fears,
You'll not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes please let me go.
I know in time you'll see
It is kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved
From pain and suffering i have been saved.
Do not grieve that it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do?
We've been so close, we two, these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears,
For love has always been my gain
And know, one day, we'll meet again
- from the pet whose time had come

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger myosotis said...

That's beautiful marian!
DD Where are you?? missing you!

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Ultreya said...

yes, where are you, missing you, been a long time gal, hope you and yours are ok
mxx

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from south of the UKĀ¬
God bless
Maria
www.inhishands.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter