Monday, July 17, 2006

Corn


The field corn is heading toward it's peak growth here, now blocking out the homes of neighbors. I can still see the mountains though, so I'll be OK.
The fields create a small shelter for our home all summer long, making it seem much greener and full of life than it actually is in our area. Everything from fox to pheasant take refuge in the shade it makes. As it grows, it takes on various stages...one day I asked my husband if he'd noticed the one plant that had decided to extend it's leaves nearly a foot above the rest of the field, it seemed like it was going to grow until it touched the sun. what on earth would make one stalk want to grow faster than all the rest?
"Don't worry, all the rest will catch up in time, the heat will make it grow."my husband told me. Needless to say, it bugged me that one plant would stick out above all the rest. I'm like that, things that stick out of place seem to irritate me until I go and fix them. I even thought about going out and snipping off the top of this stalk of corn to make it even with the rest.

It plagued me for nearly 2 weeks, but the field did indeed eventually catch up.

Maybe I'm a bit like the rest of the field...maybe it'll take me a while to grow, but perhaps one day I too can reach up and touch the son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters
Counter